Thursday, October 31, 2013

Hey You, You're Okay!


People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered.
Love them anyway.
-Dr Kent M Keith

Today I am grateful for moments of clarity. 



I had a down week last week. I just felt off and a little sad. I couldn't figure out exactly why or what was wrong but, I tried to pay attention to that feeling. I began to insert reasons for that emotion - perhaps I need to see a few more friends, perhaps I need to work more, busy myself more, spend more time with my kids or my husband. I had a litany of reasons for my feeling. 

Then, it hit me. I didn't have to have a reason for feeling sad. I could just say, Okay Sara, I'm sad this week. Feel it. Let it in and move on. 

I think so often, as a culture of 'Why' we focus our energies on figuring every darn thing out. I often forget that it's okay not to have a reason, an answer and a fix-it solution. Sometimes we just feel things, just because and for no other reason than we are human. 

Once I accepted this, guess what happened? It went away. Magically, as if answering my own need for clarity I just loved myself despite my sad feelings and then they moved on. As if my emotions needed validation, got it and went on their merry way.

Obviously, if those feelings linger on a while and affect your functioning then you should seek out reasons, assistance and possibly therapy. But, if you're just having a sad week - it's okay. Hug yourself, love yourself and accept your emotions as reminders of your ability to feel.

What are you grateful for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment